Tuesday, June 14, 2011

'60s Shoe Obsession

So my order is in for 8 yards of plaid navy wool for a fall/winter dress, my corset is just waiting for grommets that I'll obtain next week, and I've been motivated with no projects to work on. Naturally I have found an unlikely project to be consumed by, the making of early 1860s Lady's Shoes. I have found several patterns in Peterson's Magazine, c. 1860, one of which I made a prototype of over the course of two days. I'm a little disappointed by how it turned out, but I think with rounding the corners of the toe, and by using leather for the sole and a sturdy wool cloth or corduroy for the body, I'll be much more pleased. Here is the pattern and design from Peterson's 1860:

 

Here is my best try at it:




My other option is one with an ankle strap,  the heel coming higher and extending around the ankle to buckle in front.
 
I think I ought to make a prototype of this one also, to decide which one I like better in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment